Accessibility and Customer Support
Because we care
If a disability, your mental health, or problems at home affect how you manage your insurance, we may be able to help. Let us know how we can support you, whether it's a permanent or temporary situation.

You only need to tell us once. Next time you get in touch, we'll note things with your permission, so you don't have to explain it to us again.

Please contact us via Customer Service or send an email with your name, address and circumstances to

For additional support take a look at the following:

StepChange Debt Charity offer free to client independent debt advice. They cover various debt scenarios from development of repayment arrangements to insolvency.

Phone: 0800 1381111 Website:

National Debtline offer free and independent advice through telephone and online advice services. Website includes factsheets on debt solutions.

Phone: 0808 808 4000 Website

Cruse are a bereavement charity specialising in advice support and information for bereaved people across the UK.

Phone: 0844 477 9400 (costs apply). Email:

Gingerbread offer advice and practical support for single parent families in England and Wales. They can advise on separation, benefits, child tax credits work and housing.


Citizens Advice has a guide for making practical arrangements around shared finances, living and children when a relationship ends.


Mind have a team that provides information on a range of topics including: types of mental health problems, where to get help, medication and alternative treatments. They can also signpost you services offering help and support in your local area.

Phone: 0300 123 3393 or text 86463 Email: Website

Rethink Mental Illness have information about different types of mental illness, diagnosis and treatments as well as support groups around the country. They also have a number of factsheets that may help customers get further support.

Phone: 0300 304 7000

SANE provide practical help, emotional support and specialist information to individuals affected by mental health problems, their family, friends and carers.

Phone: 0300 304 7000

Find NHS support services in your local area

GamCare is a charity set up to help problem gamblers, as well as their friends and families providing advice over the phone and online or through face to face counselling.

Phone: 08088020133

The People Hub are a charity working to empower people with long-term health conditions and disabilities through knowledge sharing. You can find resources and toolkits to help you manage a personal health budget on their website.


Age UK provide a national advice line and local advice covering a large number of subjects including money worries and health and well being.

Phone: 0800 169 2081 Website:

Hourglass work to protect vulnerable older adults, and to protect older adults at risk.

Phone: 0808 808 8141 Website:

Third Party Links. When you click on such a link, we will not warn you that you have left the Services. The Company does not control and is not responsible for Third-Party Links. The Company provides these Third-Party Links only as a convenience and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to them, or any content, products or services accessible through such links. Your use of all Third-Party Links is at your own risk.